About avuncular testing
Avuncular is a term used to refer to aunts or uncles. An aunt-uncle DNA test is used when paternity needs to be established but the alleged father is not available. Testing the alleged father’s genetic brothers or sisters and comparing their DNA to that of the alleged father’s child can help solve the issue of paternity. The lab cannot perform this test if the aunt / uncle is NOT a full sibling to the alleged father in question.
We strongly suggest including the sample of a known parent to provide stronger results.
The result of this test will show the probability that the tested parties are biologically related. We normally require more than an 80%> probability of relatedness to confirm a relationship and <20% to indicate there is no relationship. The results of such tests cannot be fully predicted in advance especially if the sample of the mother is not included. The sample of the Mother is recommended to strengthen the results of the test.
Results will be issued within 5-7 working days from the moment we receive your samples at the laboratory. The price of the Aunt & Uncle DNA Test is¬ INR15800. Results will be sent to you by email and hard copies can be sent on request (additional charges may apply).
Test results are intended to provide a statistical likelihood that gives evidence to support the tested relationship in question. Providing additional parties to be tested (for example, a known parent’s sample) or performing direct relationship testing may provide additional evidence.
We can only guarantee standard result turnaround time when testing takes place solely using oral swab samples. Using a discreet sample for your test may lead to an increase in turnaround time.
Testing for male relatives: Y chromosome test
In the case where¬†testing is between¬†an uncle and nephew or any male relatives, a¬ Y-chromosome DNA test¬†test¬†can determine their blood¬†relationship¬†and confirm¬†whether they ¬†share¬†a common¬†male lineage. The cost of the Y test is¬ INR15800¬ and includes testing of 2 males.